On the surface, tournaments are often used to introduce a new application security program and direction for security awareness. That ‘new application security program’ would be built alongside the Secure Code Warrior® training platform.
Often, the usual forms of training are seen as a necessary evil; boring, but mandatory.
Having a tournament introduces a fun, competitive aspect to training that’s designed to get people interested, involved, and familiar with the platform’s gamified learning experience.
Complete with a range of challenges, set time limits, a leaderboard, and prizes, tournaments generate a buzz that makes secure coding cool and gets participants thinking about it in a more positive way.
They’re also a great way to determine your company’s current level of security awareness as well as current strengths and weaknesses that can be leveraged or fortified respectively.
HOT TIP: For promotional posters, certificates, and inspiration, check out this article.
Key tournaments takeaways are beneficial for both companies and their VIPs (aka the developers).
In tournaments, developers will:
- Compete in hands-on coding challenges against peers using the same languages and frameworks
- Navigate through a variety of vulnerabilities in the OWASP and beyond
- Build awareness in recognizing vulnerabilities and how they work
- Level up skills in finding vulnerabilities during code reviews
- Understand how to mitigate and solve vulnerabilities
- Experience the impact of exploits found in real-world app simulations in playable bonus-levels.
- Earn points by accurately pointing out correct lines of secure code
- Receive good tidings and glory upon tournament completion
From a company standpoint, tournaments will:
- Help give a brand to security awareness programs
- Build a positive secure coding culture for teams
- Encourage engagement and active learning
- Establish a baseline for future training
Below, we’ve collected a few useful articles that can help turn anyone into a tournament superstar.
- How to create a secure code warrior tournament
- Tournament in a Box: Promotional Posters and Graphics
- How to Invite Developers to a Tournament
- Tournament Leaderboard Options
- Engagement Cheat Sheet: Tournament Edition