Program workflow allows you to create and manage multi-part Learning Programs that include a predefined sequence of Courses and Assessments across several skill levels. This also allows developers to see a visual representation of the entire learning program, and track their progress.
Now, let's create a program workflow
Note: At this stage, Program Workflow doesn't support courses and assessments with LMS integration enabled
Navigate to Programs from the top menu then click 'Program Management'
Click 'Add Program' button
You will be prompted to confirm the following:
- Are you using assessments? - If this option is disabled then you can create a program that includes only courses.
- Allow developers to skip the course by completing the assessment early? - If enabled, developers can move on directly to the next level once they successfully complete the assessment without having to complete the course.
Number of levels - Choose from a set of pre-defined levels, from 1 to 5. You can always add or remove levels later.
Click Create Program to proceed.
You can now start building your program by adding courses and assessments to each level.
Scenario # 1 - Create Courses Only Program
Users can progress to the next level after completing all the courses at the current level.
Tip: When you switch off the "Are you using assessments?" option, you will see a new option that lets you define the number of courses in each level
Courses only Program:
Scenario # 2 - "Allow developers to skip the course by completing the assessment early" option is disabled
Users will complete the course first and then be able to choose an assessment from a list. Click the 'Select' buttons to select the course and the assessment(s) you want users to complete. Note, you can select multiple assessments for each assessment stage, allowing the developer the freedom to pick the one most applicable to their chosen language.
Scenario #3 - "Allow developers to skip the course by completing the assessment early" option is enabled.
Users can skip the course and go straight to the next level once they successfully complete an assessment.
If they fail to meet the passing score of the first assessment stage, they will then go through the alternate path which is:
- Complete the course first
- Then complete their second assessment
- The first and the second assessments have to be different. We recommend cloning the first group of assessments as a way to create the second.
- Assessments should have a passing score. If the assessments in the first stage don't have a passing score, the first level will be marked as complete as soon as the user completes the assessment regardless of their score.
- Configure the assessments for the first part of the level to allow a limited number of attempts. If the user fails to pass their chosen assessment after the number of retries you deem appropriate, they will be directed to take the course instead. After completing the course, they can take an assessment from the second assessment stage.
Note: Where multiple assessments are added, you can also define the maximum number of assessments the user is allowed to try, preventing them from trying multiple language options if you so choose.
Let's add more levels to your program. For each level, you will need to select the course and assessment(s) you want users to complete. The steps are the same for each level.
Note: Developers who complete Level 1 will be granted access to Level 2 automatically
Click the "Add Level" button to add more levels to your program.
Now that you have published the program, it's time to invite developers. You can leverage the automatic assignment feature to invite:
- All company members - all current and future members
- Selected teams - all current and future members of these teams
- Selected tags - all current and future members/users
You can also invite individuals if auto-assignment isn't your preferred option.
Navigate to Programs from the top menu then click Program Management.
Find the program you would like to invite developers to and click the Manage Participants button.
Click the 'Automatic assignments' button to auto-assign this program to the entire company, selected teams, or selected tags
Click the Assign Participants tab to assign individuals to the program
Users will receive an invitation to start the program